Thursday, March 08, 2012

The Valley of Gwangi


I have been a fan of the movie, The Valley of Gwangi, ever since I saw it on television as a small boy of about six or seven years of age (in black and white, I might add). I was amazed at the effects work of Ray Harryhausen and the way he integrated his monsters into a world of cowboys and rodeos with seamless ease.

The Valley of Gwangi, though, is almost one of Harryhausen's lost classics, being eclipsed by his other work, such as Jason and the Argonauts, the three Sinbad movies and Clash of the Titans.
With the recent remake of Clash of the Titans (which wasn't anywhere near as good as the original!), I wondered if Gwangi would deserve the remake treatment. I mean, monsters are always popular in the cinema and the western is always well-received, what with the success of the remake of True Grit. So, how about a retelling of The Valley of Gwangi? I'd love to write it and see it up on screen with today's whiz-bang CGI effects. With that in mind, I hammered out a treatment for what, I think, would be a good, exciting monster movie. You can read it below
and, remember, this is just a script treatment, a guide to the main features the final script should include.
I hope you enjoy it.