Sunday, August 07, 2005

'Contact'


I just watched the Robert Zemeckis movie, Contact, again(!) and never has a movie filled me with such a sense of awe concerning the nature of the universe and ourselves as human beings.

Jodie Foster's closing speech always brings tears to my eyes:

I had an experience I can’t prove, I can’t even explain it, but everything that I know as a human being, everything that I am tells me that it was real. I was part of something wonderful, something that changed me forever; a vision of the Universe that tells us undeniably how tiny, and insignificant, and how rare and precious we all are. A vision that tells us we belong to something that is greater than ourselves. That we are not, that none of us are alone. I wish I could share that. I wish that everyone, if even for one moment, could feel that awe, and humility, and the hope, but... that continues to be my wish.

A truly wonderful movie based on a great book, although I actually think the movie is better at bringing across that sense of wonder of the great unknown than Sagan's novel. But that's just me...

1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.